DEN HAAG | 05.04.2016.

STATUS CONFERENCE ON KARADZIC’S MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH

On Wednesday, 6 April 2016 there will be a status conference in the case against former Republika Srpska president Radovan Karadzic. The hearing will focus on Karadzic’s mental and physical health following his sentencing on 24 March 2016, when he was sentenced to 40 years in prison
DEN HAAG | 01.04.2016.

PROSECUTION AGAINST CROATIA’S ROLE IN PRLIC ET AL. CASE

According to the prosecution, Croatia’s motion should be rejected for three reasons: under the Tribunal’s rules, Croatia does not meet the requirements that would allow it to take part in the proceedings as amicus curiae, the information it intends to present will not assist the Appeals Chamber in its deliberations and the late Franjo Tudjman, Gojko Susak and Janko Bobetko ‘will not benefit’ in any way from the right to a fair trial in the context of the Prlic et al. case
DEN HAAG | 31.03.2016.

CHIEF PROSECUTOR: WITNESSES AND EVIDENCE TAMPERED WITH

A number of factual and legal findings made by the majority of judges in the Trial Chamber, which acquitted Vojislav Seselj today, mark a departure from the Tribunal’s established jurisprudence, chief prosecutor Brammertz said after the verdict. We are considering the grounds for appeal against the judgment, Brammertz said
31.03.2016.

JUSTICE MISCARRIED

The majority of the judges in the Trial Chamber, French judge Antonetti and Judge Niang from Senegal, have acquitted Vojislav Seselj of all counts in the indictment charging him with crimes against humanity in Croatia, Vojvodina and Bosnia and Herzegovina. According to the judges, the prosecution had not done its job properly. Italian judge Lattanzi, the third member of the Trial Chamber, attached a strongly-worded dissenting opinion
DEN HAAG | 29.03.2016.

FLORENCE HARTMANN RELEASED AFTER SERVING TWO THIRDS OF HER SENTENCE

After Florence Hartmann has served three thirds of her seven-day prison sentence, President Theodor Meron granted her early release. The President issued the decision in order to ensure ‘equal treatment’ of all the convicted individuals, and in light of the demonstrated degree of rehabilitation and exemplary conduct in prison
28.03.2016.
Next Week at the Tribunal

THE FIRST “JUDGMENT IN ABSENTIA”

Despite the fact that the Tribunal’s Statute doesn’t allow trials in the absence of the accused, on Thursday, Judge Antonetti’s Trial Chamber will render its judgment in the case against Vojislav Seselj in his absence.
DEN HAAG | 26.03.2016.

FLORENCE HARTMANN IN ISOLATION AND UNDER ROUND-THE-CLOCK SURVEILLANCE

Upon her transfer to the UN Detention Unit, former spokeswoman of the ICTY Office of the Prosecutor has been segregated from the rest of the detainees, placed in isolation and under round-the-clock surveillance. Her lawyer considers the regime to be 'unnecessary, unjustified and disproportionate', but cannot lodge a complaint because the management of the detention unit are away for the Easter holiday
Den Haag | 24.03.2016.

RADOVAN KARADZIC SENTENCED TO 40 YEARS IN PRISON

The former Republika Srpska president was found guilty of 10 out of a total of 11 counts in the indictment and was sentenced to 40 years prison. The Trial Chamber was not convinced beyond reasonable doubt that the crimes in the seven municipalities had been committed with the intent to commit genocide. The judges took Karadzic’s withdrawal from public functions in July 1996, the regret he had expressed and his good behavior in the detention unit as mitigating circumstances
Den Haag | 24.03.2016.

FLORENCE HARTMANN ARRESTED

Less than two hours before Radovan Karadzic was due to hear his verdict, Florence Hartmann was arrested on the lawn in front of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. The victims who also gathered there tried unsuccessfully to shield her with their bodies. Former chief prosecutor Carla del Ponte was ‘shocked’ by the news of Hartmann’s arrest
DEN HAAG | 22.03.2016.

CROATIA WANTS TO APPEAL AGAINST ‘CONVICTION’ OF TUDJMAN, SUSAK AND BOBETKO

The Croatian government has asked permission to take part as an amicus curiae in the appellate proceedings against the former Bosnian Croat leaders. According to the Croatian government, the trial judgment in their case posthumously convicted three former Croatian officials – Franjo Tudjman, Gojko Susak and Janko Bobetko 'based on non-existent evidence'
DEN HAAG | 20.03.2016.

KARADZIC'S „JUDGMENT DAY“

On Thursday, after a five-year trial and eighteen months of deliberation, the Trial Chamber will deliver its verdict in the case against former Republika Srpska president Radovan Karadzic. The hearing has drawn capacity crowds at the Tribunal
DEN HAAG | 16.03.2016.

TRIBUNAL BOWS TO VOJISLAV SESELJ'S WISHES FOR THE THIRD TIME

The Trial Chamber has decided not to order the Serb authorities to take all necessary measures to ensure the accused is back in The Hague to hear his verdict. If Seselj is willing to follow the proceedings via video link, the Trial Chamber will be happy to organize it
Den Haag | 07.03.2016.

HADZIC CASE: TRIAL CHAMBER TOLD TO CORRECT ERRORS

The Appeals Chamber has quashed the Trial Chamber’s decision to deny the prosecution’s motion for the urgent resumption of Goran Hadzic’s trial. The Trial Chamber has been ordered to correct the errors in the reversed decision and reassess if the accused is fit to stand trial. Based on that reassessment the Trial Chamber should decide whether to continue or terminate the proceedings
Den Haag | 01.03.2016.

MLADIC'S DENIAL

With the evidence of Norwegian officer Per Oien, Ratko Mladic’s defense has tried to deny he was responsible for the second Markale incident in August 1995. According to Oien, in their first report UN military observers stated that they couldn’t establish which side had fired five mortar shells in the direction of Markale. Oien didn’t know if that report was later changed